What kind of icing should I use for shortbread cookies?

shortbread cookies
by jdn

Question by Sophie J: What kind of icing should I use for shortbread cookies?
I baked shortbread cookies, but I feel like they need something.
Do you know any good recipes for icing or frosting?
Please Share.

Answer by autumnmoon9
none! shortbread is to be eaten with sweet tea or coffee.

What do you think? Answer below!

Posted by in Shortbread Cookies and tagged with cookies, Icing, kind, Shortbread, should | Trackback
  1. mrsincredible623 says:

Chocolate. It is delicious!

2. HDradio says:

I dont know any recipes but I know cookies and I think the kind of frosting that hardens would be the best. if you have a Zupans anywhere where you live an example would be their huge sugar cookies…thats the kind of frosting I’m talking about.

3. Cstarr says:

none. Good shortbread (yummy) stands on its own. No icing or chocolate needed. Feel free to send some to me when ur finished :)

4. hita_habibti says:

Nothing, I like them plain.
    The flavor of good shortbread is enough.

5. Run Lola Run says:

None, shortbread is delicious without icing.

A nice cup of tea would be wonderful though….

6. nervousenergy73 says:

I think you are looking for what is called royal icing……..here are a few recipes

For Royal Icing with Egg Whites: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the egg whites with the lemon juice. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.

For Royal Icing with Meringue Powder: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the confectioners’ sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat on medium to high speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form (5 to 7 minutes). If necessary, to get the right consistency, add more powdered sugar or water. To cover or ‘flood’ the entire surface of the cookie with icing, the proper consistency is when you lift the beater, the ribbon of icing that falls back into the bowl remains on the surface of the icing for a few seconds before disappearing.

Makes about 3 cups

7. short_n_sweet70301 says:

i think you should just make your own….if you just use powdered sugar and a little water…not too thick but not too thin….put a little over the top and let it harden!

8. Bingalee says:

Real shortbread isn’t meant to have any icing, but I do have a recipe that has A diamond shaped cookie with the tip dipped in melted chocolate of your choice.