Q&A: Is it possible for dogs to be allergic to peanuts or peanut butter?

Question by Muffy: Is it possible for dogs to be allergic to peanuts or peanut butter?
I bought my little poodle some peanut butter Christmas cookies this year (from a gourmet dog bakery) and he has been itching ever since. What is going on and how do I stop it?

Best answer:

Answer by Bethany J
yes my dog is

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Posted by in Foreign Cookies and tagged with allergic, Butter, Dogs, Peanut, peanuts, possible | Trackback
  1. Rachael S. says:

    I think it is. im not sure.

  2. KAITLYN W says:

    Dogs CAN be allergic to peanuts or peanut butter. What you need to do is call your vet and find a medicine to suit the problem.

    The dog also may have gone somewhere you don’t know about and gotten into something else that he is allergic, or that made his skin itchy.

    I adivse you call your vet. They’ll probably be able to diagnose the problem better than anyone on here can.

    Good luck, God Bless, and Merry Christmas.

  3. dedum says:

    yes, it is possible. You can probably call your vet and get a benadryl dose to help relieve her symptoms. ick, what a miserable day she (and you) must be having! – dd

  4. kooneyedkellie says:

    yes they can, just like humans, they can be allergic to just bout anything. it may pass threw his system in a few days or u might have to take him to the vet to get him a allergy shot

  5. batraylover says:

    The dog could most definately be allergic to peanut butter. With dogs, it’s difficult to tell what they are allergic to. They could be coming in contact with something, inhaling something, or eating something that could be causing the problem. If you aren’t 100% sure that it’s the peanut butter, then see take your dog to the vet, so that they can help determine the cause of your dog’s allergy.

    To determine what your dog is having an allergic reaction to yourself, try eliminating all “foreign substances” (everything besides your dogs regular food) from his/her diet. If the problem is still developing, then it probably means that the dog is coming in contact with something that is causing the itching. If eliminating all “foreign substances” from your dogs diet corrects the problem, slowly add back additional things until you find the exact allergy cause.

    You don’t need to go to your vet to get a dose of Benadryl for your dog. Some vets suggest the dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is 1 milligram per 1 pound of dog body weight. Most vets however will tell you that 25 milligrams of Benadryl twice a day, or 50 milligrams once a day is plenty for most dogs to relieve the allergic reaction.

Leave a Reply

  Some XHTML allowed.  

*