Q&A: How do I sweeten the cookie dough for diabetic cookies?

Question by Lalla: How do I sweeten the cookie dough for diabetic cookies?
My husband is a diabetic and I would like to bake some cookies for him. Can I use fructose for diabetic cookies?

Answer by pea_nut_26
Splenda

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Posted by in Diabetic Cookies and tagged with Cookie, cookies, Diabetic, Dough, sweeten | Trackback
  1. mimi says:

sweeteners like splenda.that’s what my mom gives my diabetic grandma

2. mom_of_1 says:

I don’t know if you can use fructose, I can’t imagine why not. My dad is diabetic and my mom always uses Splenda.

3. fivemgmorphine says:

SPLENDA is great. It measures and tastes like sugar. I don’t even own sugar anymore.

4. Wenna P says:

yes, but be careful – or just use naturally sweetened fruit like raisins as they will sweeten it anyway. enjoy the cookies|!

5. Tyewonk says:

Splenda

6. Carrie says:

Splenda… definitely. Even if you have tried it in drinks, give it a try in your cooking. I can’t tell a difference.

7. cc says:

Equal! (will tell you on the box how to substitute.) & do not use fructose. Fructose is still a sugar and shouldn’t be used for diabetics!

I’m not a big fan of Splenda myself (since I grew up on Diet Coke sweetened with nutrasweet (aka Equal)), but Splenda will work as well.

8. Alivia says:

no fructiose is still sugar. So is honey, its pure sugar so watch out.

Use a non calorie sweetener like splenda, canderel, hermesetas. it should work fine in baking.

9. Lainy says:

i use natural unsweetened apple sauce. one or two of those little cups of applesauce will usually do the trick.

10. MamaSmurf says:

Use a sugar substitute. But beware….the flour you are baking with is just as bad a sugar. Lots of carbs. Diabetics need to stay away from anything made with white flour. (especially if he is type 2)

11. sue says:

Make the cookies according to the recipe!! It isn’t the little bit of sugar in them that will hurt, it is the WHITE FLOUR!

I make all cookies, pies and cakes as I used to. I just make the cookies smaller, half the serving size of pie or cake!

We all need our “cheat treats” and must plan them in to our food plans. They need to be real treats!! My endo said to never crave for anything. If I wanted a piece of “Death by Chocolate Cake” to have one, but to make the serving size about half!

Sugar itself doesn’t bother me nearly as much as FLOURS in foods do. It doesn’t matter much whether it is White Refined to the Nth degree flour or Whole Grain flour. It is much worse for my glucose numbers than sugar is.

Baked goods require sugar to brown properly.

12. anjana t says:

use artificial sweetners. not fructose, etc, fructose, sucrose, dextrose are simple isomers of glucose, fructose though ok gives bowel upset in excess.

13. Mike G says:

It’s not only the sugar, it’s the white flour that causes spikes in the glucose as well. Educate yourself about diabetic nutrition. You are killing him with your ignorance.

14. Cammie says:

You both should talk with his endocrinologist- this is NOT a job for a GP.
    Research is changing the way we treat diabetes so fast a GP cannot be expected to keep up with that.
    The endo can help you see a dietitian or diabetes educator who will teach you about counting carbs.
    This is the gold standard in treatment right now.
    Start subscribing to diabetes magazines and keep up with the world of diabetes.
    We count carbos not sugar.
    Make your regular cookies and enjoy.