Heart Cookies from Specialty’s

Baking heart shaped cookies is made easy and fun with Specialty’s Cookie Mix! Culinary expert and Specialty’s founder, Dawn Saxton, shows you how!

In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make Christmas Vanilla Butter Cookies. This recipe is designed for making cookies that are to be cut with specialty cookie cutters, and is also the perfect cookie for frosting. These Vanilla Butter Cookies taste great, too! Ingredients: 1 cup butter, softened 2/3 cup sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 egg, well-beaten 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour red-colored sugar and green-colored sugar for sprinkling tops of cookies before baking (optional) or icing for after cooling (optional) (I will be uploading Icing for Christmas Cookies in the next upload.) In a large bowl, beat 1 cup softened butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Add 1 well-beaten egg, and beat for 1 minute. Stir in 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, gradually. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until dough is firm and easy to handle. Roll out on lightly floured surface to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into desired Christmas shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheets or baking pans. Sprinkle with green-colored sugar or red-colored sugar, if desired. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges just begin to brown. Cool on wire racks. Transfer to a nice serving plate or cookie tin. These make great Christmas gifts in cookie tins, or you can use them for your Christmas party or to leave for Santa! Enjoy! –Betty 

Posted by in Specialty Cookies and tagged with cookies, from, Heart, Specialty's | Trackback
  1. bettyskitchen says:

This is one frosting that I  use with these cookies:
    youtube.com/watch?v=KmTdigOumPU
    –Betty :)

2. Mayraminaj says:

Wow can’t wait to try it but what kind if frosting can I put on them?

3. letsgoglutenfree says:

I made these, and they were AMAZING! I make them all the time now, not just at Christmas. Thank you Betty :)

4. bettyskitchen says:

It would be better to use butter or margarine sticks. The softer butters sometimes have water added, and it is hard to measure the correct amount.
    –Betty :)

5. purplechic45 says:

Hi Betty! I have a question, usually many people in youtube use butter sticks, will it be okay to use a butter spread? If so, will it be the same amount? Thanks!

6. gabrielsmommy315agr1 says:

Finally I find a teacher who not only is professional but charming, I’m about to try out the cookie recipe right now. It seems easy and looks delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us.

7. MissPonderosa says:

Hi betty! Thank you for your reply. It was very difficult to cut out shapes and the dough kept melting on me! Perhaps with this recipe I’ll just make normal shortbread and leave the cut outs for a gingersnap cookie. In Australia it was very hot and the dough just kept getting way too soft to work with! But the cookies taste delicious (I used round cutters and put nutella in the middle of them) Very delicious! Perhaps this would work better in winter! Have a great christmas betty!

8. bettyskitchen says:

Roll the dough about 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch thick. You may add a little flour, but this usually comes in as you sprinkle your dough board and the top before you roll the dough. Yes, baking paper (parchment paper) is nice on the bottom of the cooking pan. You may chill the dough until you can work it without it sticking to your hands too much.
    –Betty :)

9. MissPonderosa says:

Hi betty! I just want to tell you that your recipe is the first recipe I’ve ever tried to make from a youtube chef! I just wanted to ask a few questions:

- How thick do you roll out the cookie dough?
    - My dough was a bit wet so I added a bit more flour (is that ok, will it ruin the cookies?)
    - Can I put baking paper on the bottom of the cooking pan?
    My dough is currently in the fridge chilling, does it need to be in the fridge for 2 hours? will 1 hour do? Thanks :)

10. ariellxy says:

I’m so excited after watching this video. And i’m gonna try out baking some cookies after i post this comment immediately. I hope i will bake delicious cookies for my friends & families this xmas season. Thanks so much for coaching! Greetings from Singapore :D

11. SeeYeen1998 says:

@bettyskitchen Hi Betty! Thanks for your video!!!i like it very much and it is very easy to do it,even i am 13 years old,the cookies worked out well too !!!! i hope you will post up more videos in the future,Greetings from Malaysia. :)

12. destinybone says:

Hi Thxs 4 e recipe! The cookies turned out very delicious! But the ingredients could also include measurements in grams too, here we don’t normally use cups to measure. Greetings from Singapore.

13. bettyskitchen says:

How wonderful! I can’t wait to use mine again this Christmas for the family. I have something else in mind for my cookie/cupcake upload!
    –Betty :)

14. tyleroreilly says:

I found these cookie cutters so intriguing! They also have a “12 Days of Christmas” cookie cutter set that I picked up at a yard sale. I can’t wait to use them this Christmas!

15. bettyskitchen says:

Thanks for the great information! I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate your research!
    –Betty :)

16. MyKelsey15 says:

I LOVED your presentation so much, I researched the cookie cutters. They are made by HRM, and I saw a bunch on e-bay. They are still made in America and there are about 100 themed cookie cutters – including Easter, Birthdays, America and Thanksgiving. I ordered them directly from the company and they were .99 each. Google HRM and you’ll see! Best wishes!

17. ThePinkMyth says:

I feel very fortunate to have them! :) Thank you for replying to your followers so kindly.

18. bettyskitchen says:

No, I don’t have the Easter one…wish I did! A lot of people have been interested in these cookie cutters, but I don’t think they would be easy to find, even in a yard sale.
    –Betty :)